Friday, December 10, 2021

Christmas Letter 2020

Dear Family and Friends,

Even before I moved out and married Miranda, I looked forward to writing these letters. This year, I’m looking forward to it even more than usual because it means that 2020 is almost over! Now hear me out, 2020 hasn’t been all bad, but sure hasn’t been all good either. I know that when the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve, all the world’s problems aren’t just going to disappear, but I think there is something to be said about “turning the page.”


I mentioned this year hasn’t been all bad, you know, a global pandemic, mandatory shutdowns, quarantines, economic uncertainties, a contested presidential election, March Madness, and college sports being canceled/delayed, and dare I even mention *ichigan canceling “The Game.” Okay, that doesn’t sound all that great, I know. However, hopefully, I speak for most of you when I say that mixed in with the bad, has been a lot of good!


This year has actually been quite an exciting year for Miranda and me. For starters, and part of the reason why we are excited about the new year is that we are going to be having a baby! (I guess you could say that we are two for two with big news in these letters. Last year we got married, this year we are having a baby! What will next year bring?) I came home to eat lunch with Miranda one afternoon (she was very persistent that I come that day), and on the kitchen table were three pregnancy tests (yes, we wiped the table down before eating), a cute little onesie, and a baby’s book! (So much for social distancing!) We went on to find out the gender of Baby C a few months later and after punting a powder-filled football, my croc turned pink, meaning we are going to be having a little girl! Both of our families are so excited, as she will be the first granddaughter on the Young’s side and the first grandchild on the Clemens’ side. 


Aside from growing a little human, Miranda continues to stay pretty busy, mainly working and sleeping (kidding, not kidding). Miranda passed her NCLEX at the beginning of the year and started her career as an ICU Nurse at Avita Hospital Ontario. She works full-time on night shift, which is part of the reason she does a lot of sleeping. No nursing school could have prepared her for what she was entering into in the nursing field this year. COVID-19 has rocked the healthcare world, including our small local hospitals. Miranda is a real hero, especially to me. It has been inspiring to see her work so hard caring for her patients, but also heartbreaking, hearing the stories of loss and depression that are so prevalent during this time in the hospital. On a brighter note, Miranda has enjoyed being able to spend time with her nephews now that she is working three nights a week and doesn’t have homework. She was also able to help her younger sister, Becca, coach Jr. High girl’s volleyball at Mansfield Christian. 


As for me, I made a career change early on in the year. After a handful of discussions and lots of prayer, I resigned from my social worker position at Children’s Services at the end of February to begin a new career, farming (sort of). Starting in March, I began working full-time on the Young’s family farm. This city boy has learned real quick a lot about farm life. I help with the bookwork, tech work, and the grunt work. When I started in March, I began helping pull tile, spread manure, and working ground. During harvest, I would drive a grain cart. I’ve also taken over the day to day responsibilities in the hog barn. So far it has been an enjoyable experience and I am looking forward to continuing to learn and grow (pun intended) in this new adventure. This summer, I also had the privilege of officiating my first wedding, between my best friend Cameron and his now-wife, Lindsay. I was able to become ordained online for a small fee. Unfortunately, we were not able to make the trip to San Diego for it due to COVID, but it was still a wonderful ceremony here in Ohio. 


Despite all the bad, we were still able to celebrate some really great things. In addition to those above, we also celebrated Miranda’s parent’s 50th birthdays, my brother Kirby getting engaged to his fiance, Baylee, Kirby becoming a police officer for the city of Ashland, our first anniversary, and many other engagements, marriages, newborns, birthdays, and accomplishments. Now, though, it is time to celebrate the birth of our Risen Savior, Jesus Christ. During this year, we have seen and felt the goodness of God, despite the hardships of this world. I’m reminded of the verse found in the gospel of John, chapter 16, verse 33, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” What an encouragement it is to know that our Savior has already overcome not only this year but every year! With faith and hope, we look forward to the day when “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4). 


We pray that you have a safe, healthy, merry, and blessed Christmas and new year! And remember, wash your hands, wear a mask, and say your prayers because germs and Jesus are everywhere! (Miranda made me add that). 


With love,




Wyatt, Miranda and Baby Girl C


No comments:

Post a Comment