Saturday, January 14, 2017

Found Guilty.

5/21/2016
 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me.” - John 15:18-21
As I read these verses, a few things come to mind. First, the question formulates in my mind, “How does the world treat me? Does it love me or hate me?” Second, thinking of the body as a whole, “Why are we so surprised when the world does not agree with our viewpoints or our opinions? Why do we get so mad when they reject us, ridicule us and harass us for standing up for our faith?” Finally, the third question that comes to my mind is this, “Am I, personally, being persecuted, in any way, because of my faith? Am I living my life in a way that reflects Christ, if I am not being persecuted?” I think all three of these thoughts/questions can speak volumes to our walks as Christians. How does the world think about you? Do people hate the way you value your beliefs? How you live your life according to what you believe? Or does the world love you? Does it love the way you comprise your values just to fit in? Does it love the way you’re willing to put a shade over the light you’ve been given? When the world hates us or rejects us, we should not be discouraged, because we are doing something right in the eyes of the Lord. When it comes to hot topics in today’s society, we are often harassed, ridiculed, and joked at for what we stand for. Should this cause us to waiver in our stance? Not in the slightest. We shouldn’t be surprised at these responses; we have been called to a higher standard, one that the people of the world do not understand because they do not know the Father. We should not look upon them with contempt when they ridicule us, but love them anyway, pray for them daily, and treat them as a friend, because they will know we are Christians by our love (John 13:35). This persecution that we face for what we believe in should not come as a surprise. What should be a surprise to you, though, is if you are not being persecuted. If we are not of this world our lives should reflect that. Our choices should reflect that. Our values should reflect that. If we reflect what we believe in our everyday lives, we will face persecution. It may not be extreme, but we will face it. Period. We are not called to fit in, but to stand out, to be the salt and light of this dying and desperate world (Matthew 5:13-16). I will leave you with this one question, “If you are standing on trial for your faith in Christ, would the judge have enough evidence to convict you?”
“For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.” –Philippians 3:18-21

No comments:

Post a Comment